(PORT MORESBY – KOKODA – TUFI)
If you’re not fully into trekking but after a short tour of the historical Kokoda Track followed by an adventurous tropical break, this Tufi getaway tour will do just that for you. Tour Port Moresby, Bomana War Cemetery and Kokoda before jetting across to Tufi for the remainder of your tour.
Following your arrival in Port Moresby, we’ll take you on an informative sightseeing trip around Port Moresby, Bomana War Cemetery, McDonald’s Corner and Owers’ Corner, before spending a night at your hotel for the flight to Popondetta the next day. In Popondetta, you’ll take the trip by dirt road to beautiful Kokoda for a guided tour of the battle site before returning to Popondetta to spend a night in a village guesthouse. The next day will see you catch your plane for the short flight to Tufi for a few days of swimming, canoeing, snorkelling, kayaking and scuba diving bliss. Tufi is one of Papua New Guinea’s popular diving locations with its crystal-clear waters, pristine reefs and excellent dives spots that lure divers and water enthusiast from right across the globe.
|DESTINATION||Port Moresby, Kokoda, Tufi|
|DEPARTURE LOCATION||Port Moresby|
|EXPERT GUIDE||Papua New Guinean|
|TOUR DURATION||5 Days|
|TRAVEL DURATION||2-Days (Transit – your hotel in Port Moresby)|
|TOTAL TRIP DURATION||7 Days|
|WEAR||See Plan Your Trip|
- Bilingual Australian tour leader.
- Experienced PNG tour guide.
- Battle site and areas of military significance tours and commentaries.
- Safety and security plan.
- Daily safety and administrative briefs.
- Medevac plan.
- Pre-tour health and medical check plan.
- Reliable mobile communications.
- First aid support (trained attendant and first aid kit).
- Staff Reception and airport transfers in Port Moresby and Popondetta.
- Transit hotel and resort accommodation and breakfast in Port Moresby and Tufi (Holiday Inn Express /Holiday Inn / Tufi Resort).
- Welcome dancing group (Sanananda village /Popondetta).
- Stringband entertainment (Sanananda village / Popondetta).
- Transit guesthouse accommodation and all meals (Sanananda village/Popondetta)
- Domestic flights (Port Moresby-Popondetta / Popondetta-Tufi / Tufi-Port Moresby)’
- Road transport (Port Moresby-Owers’ Corner-Port Moresby, and Popondetta- Kokoda-Sanananda).
- Sea transport (Sanananda – Gona – Buna – Sanananda).
- Wage, flights, hotel accommodation, meals and transport for guide.
- Guesthouse and campsite landowner fees.
- Village guesthouse accommodation.
- Meals only on tour.
- Water resupply plan and procedure.
- Daily situational trek updates.
- Souvenir Kokoda Trail Expeditions t-shirt and cap.
What’s Not Included
- Dinner at hotel and resort.
- Sightseeing fee (Popondetta).
- Travel insurance.
- Visa and passport costs.
- Medical expenses.
- Baggage cost.
- Spending money.
- Local museum fees.
- Trip – book your trip by browsing through our list of tours on this site.
- Travel itinerary – have a return international travel itinerary. If you’ve included flights with your booking, we’ll handle this for you.
- Passport – have a valid passport; if not contact your local passport office for assistance.
- Visa – PNG has visa on arrival (VOA) for Australian tourists but you can apply here in Australian by lodging your application in person or by registered mail with the PNG consular offices in Canberra, Sydney, Brisbane or Cairns. Countries other than Australian click this link to see you have VOA.
- Travel insurance – have travel insurance to cover you in case of an emergency. We highly recommend QBE’s Travel C plan otherwise go with a travel insurer who can cover you whilst in PNG.
- Medical – see your GP or family doctor for anti-malarial treatments and inoculations against cholera, typhoid, heptatis including booster shots like tetanus.
- Diet – inform us if you have specific dietary requirements, for instance if you’re on a gluten-free diet.
- Travel – email us copies of your travel documents i.e. passport (only front page that has your photo ID and pers details), completed medical form, travel insurance, and travel itinerary.
- International flights – to and from Moresby ex Cairns, Brisbane, Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne, Hobart, Adelaide, Perth or Darwin.
- Accommodation – supplement for an extra night at the hotel in Port Moresby pre-tour or post tour.
- Photos – capture your tour moments with photographs.
Day 1: Bomana War Cemetery – Owers' Corner – Port Moresby (approx. 8 hours)
After breakfast, we meet you at your hotel for the trip by road to tour Bomana War Cemetery, the largest war cemetery in the South Pacific. After the visit, we continue to Owers’ Corner, the drop-off point of the Kokoda Trail. Enroute, we stop and tour McDonald’s Corner, the original road head of the Kokoda Trail in WW2, from where many soldiers set off for battle for the first time over the Owen Stanley Range. Owers’ Corner is named after Captain Noel ‘Jerry’ Owers, a surveyor with the New Guinea Volunteer Rifles, who was given the impossible task of surveying a road over the rugged Owen Stanley’s. Australian engineers later cut a road from McDonald’s Corner past Owers’ Corner before zigzagging its way down to Goldie River and stopping short of Imita Ridge. Plans for the road and work stopped when the impossibility of the task was realised. After the tour, we head back for a tour of Port Moresby via the Sogeri area before stopping at Port Moresby Nature Park to catch a glimpse of PNG’s unique and vast array of wildlife, flora and fauna. Following the tour, we return to our hotel to spend the night before our flight to Popondetta the following day.
Meals: Breakfast and lunch
Day 2: Port Moresby – Popondetta – Kokoda – Popondetta (approx. 8 hours)
After sunrise, we collect our bags and head for the airport for our short flight to Popondetta, which is the gateway to the Kokoda Trail, Buna, Sanananda and Gona, famous WW2 battle sites. We meet our welcoming party on arrival before travelling by road to Kokoda. The drive takes us past through Awala, Wairopi, Oivi and Gorari. Awala is where the first shots were fired, marking the beginning of the Kokoda Campaign, and Wairopi is where withdrawing Australian forces came into contact with the advancing Japanese early in the campaign. Oivi and Gorari were also sites of skirmishes, and later the location of a fierce and bloody battle of Oivi-Gorari between the Australians and the retreating Japanese. Kokoda is the site of the first and second battle of Kokoda. Kokoda was strategically important for the Allies because it had the only airstrip between Port Moresby and the beachheads of Gona and Buna. We take a guided tour of the Kokoda battle site before heading back to Sanananda guesthouse for a night in the village followed by our flight to Tufi the next day.
Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
Day 3: Popondetta – Tufi (approx. 0.5 hours)
After spending the night in the village and meeting the lovely locals, we are transported to Popondetta’s Guria Airport to meet our flight to Tufi. We are met on arrival by the Tufi Resort staff before making our way to our wonderful boutique accommodation which will be our home away from home for the final leg of our tour. Tufi played an important role in WW2 as the home to USN Patrol Torpedo (PT) Boat base. We spend the afternoon enjoying stunning views of the fjord land before receiving a brief for next days activities, having dinner and resting up.
Meals: Breakfast and lunch
Day 4: Tufi (approx. 8 hours)
The whole day today is spent exploring and experiencing Tufi’s marine biodiversity, whether it’s scuba diving uncharted reefs and war relics teeming with marine life, fishing for red emperor, dogtooth tuna, yellowfin tuna, wahoo, trevally, spanish mackerel, barracuda and mangrove jack or snorkelling its crystal-clear waters. The dives consists of an outer reef dive, a wharf dive, and night dive, and the fishing is either pelagic or estuary fishing. A more detail itinerary based on what we intend to do will be advised by Tufi Resort. Boats, boat operators, dive masters, scuba equipment, fishing gear, lines and rods will be provided by the resort. Refreshments and meals for the day will also be arranged.
Meals: Breakfast and lunch
Day 5: Tufi – Port Moresby (approx. 1 hour)
Today brings us to the end of our historically-fuelled and adventurous short tour so we pack our bags in readiness for the move to the airstrip for the flight back to Port Moresby. The morning maybe taken up with optional activities like kayaking which can be arranged with the resort individually. On arrival in Port Moresby, we are transported back to our hotels before continuing on the next leg of our travel.