Terms and Conditions
These Terms and Conditions Consists of Terms and Conditions for Our Tours and Terms and Conditions for Our Online Shop
- Online Shop
Please read carefully these terms and conditions of contract. In completing and submitting your tour booking, you agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions which constitute the agreement between Kokoda Trail Expeditions ABN 86 418 767 970 and you. These Terms and Conditions apply to the exclusion of any other terms and conditions unless they are set out in detail here, or are otherwise agreed to in writing by the parties. No purported variation of these Terms and Conditions will be effective unless authorised by Kokoda Trail Expeditions.
To reserve your place on one of Kokoda Trail Expeditions 3, 5, 9,10, and 12 days Kokoda, Buna-Gona, Tufi, Milne Bay, and Rabaul tours in Papua New Guinea, complete an online booking or enquiry on the Kokoda Trail Expeditions website (https://www.kokodatrailexpeditions.com.au), send an email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or contact Kokoda Trail Expeditions on (02) 8958 8813, 043 848 3789 or 043 207 5515. You will receive an email confirmation with your booking including receipt(s) and trip notes. The final balance is due 30 days prior to your tour date. Bookings must be made at least 60 days prior to the commencement of your tour.
Payment(s) for tours can be completed using Visa and Mastercard using our secure payment gateway, by electronic funds transfer (EFT), direct deposit at your bank, through internet banking or by cheque made payable to Kokoda Trail Expeditions. Our bank details are provided on our website or on your invoice when you book with us. Payments using Visa and Mastercard incurs a 2.5% credit card fee. The final balance of your tour cost must be payable to Kokoda Trail Expeditions 30 days prior to your tour departure. Prices are quoted in Australian dollars (unless otherwise specified). If payment for the balance of your tour is not received by Kokoda Trail Expeditions by the required time, your tour maybe cancelled and cancellation charges may apply in accordance with condition 4.
- Amendments and Transfers
Amendments: If you wish to make amendment(s) to your tour arrangement, you must notify Kokoda Trail Expeditions by email. Each amendment to your tour arrangements will incur a $50.00 administration fee and you will be liable for any increase in airfares or operational expenses occasioned by the amendment. All administration fees must be paid before your tour departure.
Transfers: If you wish to transfer from one tour to another, you must notify Kokoda Trail Expeditions by email within 30 days of making your booking. Once Kokoda Trail Expeditions receives your notice the transfer will take effect subject to the following:
• Transfers may only be made to another tour to commence within 30 days of making a booking for a tour to commence within 60 days of the original departure date.
• If your notice for transfer is received more than 30 days prior to your original departure date, a $100.00 transfer fee will apply. In addition, any increase in airfares or operational services will be payable by you: or
• If your notice is received within 30 days prior to your original departure date, 50% of your original tour price will be forfeited provided your notice is received at least 30 days prior to your tour date. The transfer of a trip from one person to another is not permitted.
If you wish to cancel your tour, you must notify Kokoda Trail Expeditions by email. Once Kokoda Trail Expeditions receives your notice, cancellation will take effect subject to the following:
• If cancellation takes place between 30 and 60 days prior to your departure date, 50% of the tour price will be forfeited.
• If cancellation takes place less than 30 days prior to your departure date, 100% of the tour price will be forfeited.
- Health and Fitness Requirements
You must be in good health and physical condition and are strongly advised to
• Download and use our Kokoda Trek Fitness Plan as a guide or use an accredited trek fitness program to prepare for your Kokoda Trail trek prepared by a qualified personal trainer, fitness, and nutritional expert. Begin training well before your departure. If you are not hiring a personal porter, work towards carrying an 18-20 Kg pack uphill and without effort.
• Upon receipt of your tour booking, Kokoda Trail Expeditions will send you a medical form which must be completed by your doctor after he has completed a medical check to say you are fit both medically and physically to do Kokoda. A copy of this form must be returned to us as proof that you are fit enough to participate in the trek. The medical form must be returned to Kokoda Trail Expeditions at least 30 days prior to departure.
• If you are 50 years or over or have a pre-existing medical condition, details of your condition must be included on the form by your doctor. If you suffer from severe muscular, chest, heart or bronchial disorders, or if you are a severe asthmatic, or have high blood pressure, you are strongly advised against participating.
• There is no mandatory vaccinations, however, a course of anti-malarial tablets is recommended and available by prescription. Your tetanus booster should be current. Additional health information is available under the “Plan Your Trip” page on this website.
• Most of our tours take place in remote areas where there is little or no access to normal medical services or hospital facilities for serious problems. Evacuation, where necessary, can be prolonged, difficult and expensive. Medical and evacuation expenses will be your responsibility coordinated through your travel insurance.
• While we do not discriminate by age, due to the extreme nature of our treks we strongly discourage participants over 80 years of age. Kokoda Trail Expeditions reserves the right in its absolute discretion to refuse a participant the right to participate in a Kokoda Trail trek on medical or fitness grounds. Participants of this age category, however, can opt for our less intrusive and non-trekking tours which are less strenuous.
- Medical Disclosure (Trekking Tours)
You declare and warrant that you are in good health and are mentally and physically fit at the time of booking this trekking tour; you have disclosed to Kokoda Trail Expeditions every matter concerning your health and mental and physical fitness of which you are aware, or ought reasonably be expected to know, that is relevant to Kokoda Trail Expeditions’ decision to permit you to join the trek; immediately upon any adverse change in your health or fitness that may be likely to affect Kokoda Trail Expeditions’ decision to permit you to go on the trek, you will notify Kokoda Trail Expeditions by email of any such adverse change. Kokoda Trail Expeditions is permitted to disclose medical information to our consultant doctor. Kokoda Trail Expeditions’ consultant doctor may exclude you from the trek if deemed necessary. You acknowledge that the obligation to disclose information pertaining to your health under this condition continues from the time of your tour booking through to departure and extends for the duration of the tour. If you fail to comply with the duty of disclosure in this condition, and if Kokoda Trail Expeditions would not have permitted you to undertake the tour, or continue participation of the tour, had you made full disclosure under this condition, Kokoda Trail Expeditions will not be liable, except to the minimum extent required by law, for personal injury, death or property damage or loss incurred by you.
- Medical Disclosure (Non-Trekking tours)
Non-trekking tours does not require you to be mentally and physically fit as it does not include strenuous physical activity, however, you still have to disclose to Kokoda Trail Expeditions every matter concerning your general health which may impact on your ability to complete the tour. This includes any adverse changes in your overall physical and mental health.
- Nominated Tour Leaders, Tour Guides and Porters
In this condition, ‘nominated tour leaders, tour guides and porters’ includes both the nominated tour leader, guide and porters, and any other nominated person given at any time the task of leading or supervising any aspect of the tour. Kokoda Trail Expeditions’ nominated tour guides and porters take their responsibilities seriously, and if for any reason a nominated tour leader, tour guide, or porter believes, in his absolute discretion, that you should not participate in the tour, before your departure, even if you pass your medical, he may exclude you from the tour. In this event, but subject to condition 5, you will be offered the option of taking another tour considered suitable for you or a full refund. If for any reason during a tour the nominated tour leader, tour guide, and porter considers you should not participate further due to you committing an illegal act, or in the opinion of the nominated tour leader, tour guide or porter, your behavior is causing or is likely to cause danger, distress or annoyance to others, or your fitness or health is inadequate, he or she may direct you not to continue and you must follow the nominated tour leader, tour guide or porter’s instructions. In this case, you will not be entitled to any refund. Travel insurance may compensate you depending on the circumstances. Kokoda Trail Expeditions reserves the right to change, at any time, the nominated tour leader, tour guide, or porters of any tour. If that happens, Kokoda Trail Expeditions will try to ensure that the alternative tour leader, tour guide or porter has expertise commensurate with that of the nominated tour leader, tour guide or porter. Any such change by Kokoda Trail Expeditions will not give rise to any right on your part to cancel the tour or claim any expenses, loss, or damage which may be suffered.
- Cancellation due to Tour Booking Numbers
Kokoda Trail Expeditions reserves the right to cancel any tour prior to departure in the event that there the minimum of personnel for a tour is not met in which case you will be given a full refund of the tour price paid by you. You will not be entitled to claim any additional amounts or seek any compensation for any injury, loss, expenses or damage (either direct or consequential) or for any loss of time or inconvenience which may result from such cancellation (including but not limited to visa, passport and vaccination charges, or departure, gear purchases, airport and airline taxes).
- Route Changes, Postponement, Cancellation or Delay
Kokoda Trail Expeditions reserves the right to:
• Change the date of departure or conclusion of the tour, or modify any aspect of the tour, or
• Cancel or modify any routes within the tour or objectives set out in the itinerary, or
• Substitute different or equivalent routes within the tour in place of cancelled or modified routes, or
• Postpone, cancel or delay (either in relation to the departure or arrival times or the duration of the tour) any such aspect of the tour if, in the absolute discretion of Kokoda Trail Expeditions, it is necessary to do so due to inclement weather, tsunami, cyclone, or a severe tropical thunderstorm conditions or conditions that are otherwise likely to be hazardous or dangerous, or due to any other adverse or threatening conditions whether political or military or terrorist or otherwise, or if in the absolute discretion of Kokoda Trail Expeditions, there is a likelihood of any such event occurring which may impact upon the safety of the participants, or if an act or omission of a third party prevents the tour or the aspect of the tour being undertaken in accordance with your booking or for any other reason considered necessary by Kokoda Trail Expeditions.
• In the event of any change, modification, cancellation, postponement or delay under this condition, you acknowledge that you will have no right of refund of the tour price (whether in whole or in part) and no right to claim compensation for any injury, loss or damage, or other additional expenses incurred by virtue of the change, modification, cancellation, postponement or delay.
• Kokoda Trail Expeditions also reserves, in its absolute discretion, the right to cancel any tour due to any government travel warning or advice, or any change in such warning or advice. In this event, condition 4 applies as if you had transferred or cancelled the tour at the date that Kokoda Trail Expeditions cancelled the tour due to the governmental travel warning or advice. Travel insurance may compensate you depending on the circumstances.
- Itineraries and Brochures
Itineraries and other details are published in good faith as statements of intention only, and reasonable changes in the itinerary and related items may be made where deemed necessary or advisable by Kokoda Trail Expeditions. The information contained in Kokoda Trail Expeditions’ brochures, itineraries, and internet site is, to the best of Kokoda Trail Expeditions’ belief, correct at the date of publishing.
Personal travel insurance is not included in the tour price. It is a condition of booking a tour with Kokoda Trail Expeditions that you take the responsibility to ensure that you are adequately insured for the full duration of the tour in respect of illness, injury, death, loss of baggage and personal items, cancellation, and curtailment. You must provide evidence to Kokoda Trail Expeditions that you have obtained personal travel insurance. You must ensure that your personal travel insurance covers all of the activities you expect to participate in.
- Proof of Citizenship or information Required for Travel
it is your responsibility to obtain proper identification or proof of citizenship as required by the authorities of the destination to which you are travelling to. You will not be entitled to a refund if you are denied boarding or entry on any basis, including without limitation, improper documentation or failure to provide information. It is recommended that your passport is valid for six months beyond the date of your return home to your home country.
- Airlines and Other Transport Providers
Any materials published hereupon by Kokoda Trail Expeditions do not commit any airline whose services are used, or proposed to be used in the course of the tour. In the event that an airline’s proposed travel or fare schedule is amended or cancelled, such amendment or cancellation will not be considered a cancellation of the tour by Kokoda Trail Expeditions. Any flights or other transport forming part of the tour arrangements are subject to the conditions of the carrying airline or other transport entity, which in most cases limits the airlines’ or other transport entity’s liability to passengers in accordance with applicable international law and conventions. International flights are provided by Air Niugini, Virgin Australia, Qantas, and Qantaslink between Brisbane and Port Moresby, and Cairns and Port Moresby. Air Niugini provides code-shared services with Qantas passengers between Australia and Papua New Guinea. All domestic flights between Port Moresby, Popondetta, Tufi, Alotau, and Rabaul are booked with either Air Niugini or PNG Air. Depending on tour numbers, air charters maybe utilized with third level operator Tropicair to fly tour groups directly in and out of Kokoda from Port Moresby.
- Travel Documents
A passport, valid for at least six months at the time of travel, is required for all visitors. A Visa application for a Papua New Guinea tourist visa will be sent with your trip confirmation and when you have booked for your tour. Alternatively, Visa on Arrival (VOA) is currently available at Jackson’s International Airport in Port Moresby for all Australians visiting Papua New Guinea. Non-Australian visitors to the country must contact their consular office or the nearest PNG consulate for visa applications or refer to the list of VOA eligible countries to PNG for VOA availability in PNG.
Most airlines adhere to a standard baggage allowance of 13 Kg of checked-in luggage per person, plus a small bag or daypack to carry on board the flight. Trip provisions such as tents and tour-related equipment will be carried by either by a tour leader and/or tour guide accompanying flights and by porters on the treks. If using a Personal Porter, please be thoughtful and provide him with a proper backpack that has padded shoulder straps, internal frame, and a waist belt.
- Tour Prices
Package tour prices are based on ground costs, fuel prices, airfares, aircraft charters, road transportation costs, boat hire costs, exchange rates and assumptions made at the time of promulgation of this Terms and Conditions. Kokoda Trail Expeditions tries its utmost not to increase tour prices (in full or part), however sometimes increases are outside its control. Kokoda Trail Expeditions reserves the right to amend tour prices (or any part) without notice at any time before and including the departure date. Amendments may be necessitated for many reasons including, but not limited to, exchange rate fluctuations, increased fuel costs, airfares, aircraft charters, airport charges, increases in ground operator service fees, or the need to engage alternative air or ground operators. Any increase in tour prices must be paid prior to the departure date.
- Exclusions from Tour Price
Without limitation, the following items are excluded from the tour price:
• Personal travel insurance;
• Visa, passport and medical costs;
• Departure, airport and airline taxes;
• Extra meals, transport costs, accommodation costs, or other expenses not included in the itinerary; laundry, postage, personal clothing, medical expenses, and items of a personal nature; emergency evacuation and/or emergency search charges;
• additional expenses caused by delay, accidents or disruption of planned itineraries; and
• tips, onboard beverages, and excess baggage charges.
- Force Majeure
If Kokoda Trail Expeditions is prevented (directly or indirectly) from performing any of its obligations under this agreement by reason of act of God, strikes, trade disputes, fire, breakdowns, interruption of transport, government or political action, acts of war or terrorism, acts or omissions of a third party or for any other cause whatsoever outside Kokoda Trail Expeditions’ reasonable control, Kokoda Trail Expeditions will be under no liability whatsoever to you and may, at its option, by written notice to you either cancel the tour or take any other action as specified in condition 9.
- Assumption of Risk
You acknowledge that:
• By the very nature of adventure trekking and remote tours, they are more challenging and demanding with a commensurately higher level of risk compared with conventional holidays, and involve potential exposure to injury and possibly death; and
• On the Kokoda Trail and parts of Papua New Guinea where adventure travel is undertaken, standards of accommodation, transport, health care, hygiene, safety and service provision generally are often not as high as those standards in a developed country such as Australia, Great Britain, New Zealand, Canada, and USA and may require flexibility and patience on your part; and
• Operational control of the tour may be in the hands of a third party and that your right of action in regard to any shortcomings of that third party’s performance is against the third party and not against Kokoda Trail Expeditions; and
• The additional dangers and risks associated with adventure travel may include difficult and dangerous terrain; high altitude; extremes of weather, including sudden and unexpected changes; political instability; remoteness from normal medical services and from communications; and evacuation difficulties in the event of illness or injury; and
• The enjoyment and excitement of adventure travel is derived in part from the inherent dangers and risks associated with adventure travel and that those inherent dangers and risks are a reason why you wish to undertake the adventure tour; and
• You have submitted your booking for the tour after giving due consideration of relevant travel information including, without limitation, any relevant information or advice given by the governments of Australia, Great Britain, New Zealand, and USA, and that it is your responsibility to acquaint yourself with that information or advice, for the above reasons you therefore must accept the inherent and increased dangers and risks associated with the proposed adventure tour and the accompanying risk of injury, death or property damage or loss.
You accept that:
• Kokoda Trail Expeditions acts as a professional Australian tour operator and accepts no liability for the acts or omissions of those third-party tour operators and providers of goods and services here in Australia and Papua New Guinea; and
• Kokoda Trail Expeditions will not be liable for any breach of any law by any person
with whom you travel on the tour; and
• You may not rely on any representations concerning the tour made by Kokoda Trail Expeditions which are not contained in these Terms and Conditions.
- Release and Waiver of Liability
In consideration of Kokoda Trail Expeditions accepting your tour booking, and in consideration of you being permitted by Kokoda Trail Expeditions to join the tour to the extent permitted by law:
• You release, waive, discharge, hold harmless and agree to indemnify Kokoda Trail Expeditions and its officers, employees, agents, leaders, guides, and other representatives and the land management authorities in Papua New Guinea in which the tour is conducted (each of whom are collectively referred to as “Kokoda Trail Expeditions and its employees”) from all claims, actions or losses for bodily injury, property damage, wrongful death, loss of services, loss profits, consequential, exemplary, indirect, or punitive damages, or otherwise which may arise out of, or occur during your travel in connection with the tour or any activities conducted in conjunction there within unless caused by the willful negligence or wrongful act of Kokoda Trail Expeditions and its employees; and
• Regardless of the situation or circumstances giving rise to the claim you waive any claims you have, or may at any time have, against Kokoda Trail Expeditions and its employees and you agree, by accepting the additional inherent dangers and risks associated with the tour, not to make any claim against or seek any compensation from Kokoda Trail Expeditions and its employees in respect of any personal injury, illness or death suffered by you or damage to or loss of property sustained by you as a result of your participation in the tour.
• To the extent permitted by law, section 74 of the Trade Practices Act 1974 Commonwealth (as amended) does not apply to this contract. If section 74 of the Trade Practices Act 1974 does apply, Kokoda Trail Expeditions’ liability is limited to resupplying the services or paying the costs of resupplying the services, whichever is the lesser.
A party will not be deemed to have waived any of its rights or remedies under these Terms and Conditions or at law by allowing any time or indulgence or by not exercising any right or remedy arising out of any default by the other party. If any part of a Terms and Condition is illegal, unenforceable or invalid, it is to be treated as removed from the Terms and Conditions, however, the remainder of the Terms and Conditions are not altered.
- Further Questions
Please do not hesitate to contact our office and we will be more than happy to assist you.
These Terms and Conditions are for goods purchased on our online shop so please read them carefully. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us.
- Refunds, Replacement and Returns
We will provide a refund or replacement if a major problem has been identified with our products, for instance, if the product does not fit correctly, is deemed to be unsafe, or significantly different from the description. The replacement will be of the same amount and product type initially paid for, and you are responsible for the return of the product. We will not provide you with a refund or replacement if you changed your mind, misused the product that contributed to the problem, unclear about what you want, or it is a problem with a service completely out of our control.
- Delivery Times
Times for delivery of products sent through Australia Post are as follows:
- Within Australia: 2-7 business days; and
- Overseas: 6-14 days or more.
We inform customers if there are unforeseen circumstances affecting the delivery of products.
- Responsibility for Goods Not Delivered or Damaged in Transit
If your product is not delivered on time or has been damaged in transit, contact us with the details so we can trace the product in transit and let you know, or arrange for it to be replaced under insurance.
- Online Dispute Resolution
If have a problem with the product purchased online, contact us with the details and we will provide you with assistance. If the problem is related to a discrepancy that is associated with your card or online transaction, contact Paypal to resolve the matter. Alternatively, you can contact your bank or card provider for help.